Compartmentalization

Episodes (98) bubbles (88) Trips (50) MunchMunch (43) EatThatFrog (34) WordsSpun (27) Lil'Tomes (19) MusicInMe (19)

Wednesday, 28 October 2009

Brewing Roselle

Emak gave me a plastic full of roselle buds, about 30 of them maybe. She bought them at the Pasar Tani & thought I might want to make me some roselle cordial back in MT.


Worrying that they might turn bad if left in the fridge for a long time (I’m feeling so lazy lately) I decided to brew them in the night. Perhaps I could bring them to work tomorrow for my colleagues. It’s been food always being brought to office, so let’s bring drink for a change ;)


1. Clean the buds/petals first & throw away the round seed inside. Breaking them apart at the same time.


I found out that a certain species has soft but sharp hairs on them, particularly the one that my mom bought here, big & round ones. If they got stuck in your fingers, just pull them off under running water, though the act does seem like you’re pulling imaginary thorns (they were so tiny & almost invisible, u could only feel them when you put your fingers together, which signals that they are already stuck there! :p )

So try to buy/find big & longish roselle buds as my youngest sister and I noticed that these are the ones that do not have such prickly hairs at all when we made them during last eid. We got them from a relative’s house.


2. Boil 1 ½ litre of RO water, stir in ¾ or 1 kg of sugar along with the roselle bits.


3. Brew for half an hour.


Roselle’s colour & flavour are quite strong, so you can drain the first brew and repeat the process with the same roselle bits. Otherwise, brew once for abt 45 min. Keep the cordial in a bottle in the fridge so you can easily fix up a roselle drink whenever you want later :)

The drained roselle can be kept in the fridge also & serve along with pancakes/scones/pudding or even on its own.


I made roselle drink for the office for 2 days in a row. Kept it in a 2 litre tupperware in the fridge for anyone’s access. Didn’t bring any on the next day, which was also the last day of working before the 1 week break. But SHAH came in front of me with a glass in her hand asking if I brought any, unfortunately…


Still have another bottle of the concentrated brew at my place. Roselle drink anyone?


p/s:Did u know that roselle is another species of hibiscus?

----------------
Now playing: FoolsGarden- LemonTree
via FoxyTunes

No comments: